Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true - but it's father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife.
Nuclear power is the most dense energy source known to man. Fission provides thousands of times the energy of fossil fuels. Early decisions made in the interest of expediency led the nuclear industry down a path of complexity and that very complexity demands stringent oversight to maintain safety.
What if we could change that?
What if we could design a system which was less complex?
The Simple Advanced Fast Reactor is SANE's answer.
- No moving parts in the operating loop
- No meltdowns
- Physics limits temperature of core - core cannot get hot enough to melt vessel
- Direct electrical generation - no turbines
- Compact power generation - easy to confine
- Compact core - easy to contain
- Low system pressures - easy to manufacture
- Prefabricated construction - easy to ship worldwide and installs in a fraction of the time